Taping a French Bulldog’s ears is a common practice among the breed. This procedure is done to help the ears to stand erect and keep them from flopping over. The goal is to use tape to support the ear cartilage so that it can stand up in a more natural position. It’s important to carefully tape the ears correctly to ensure the process is done correctly and safely.
Table of Contents
Understanding Ear Taping for French Bulldogs
Before you start the taping process, it’s essential to understand how ear taping works. This process is used to encourage the cartilage in the ears to stand up and take on a natural shape. The goal of ear taping is not to make the ears look perfect but to shape the ears as naturally as possible by providing support and preventing them from flopping over.
Preparing to Tape the Ears
It’s important to properly prepare before beginning to tape the ears. Here are the steps to take:
- Assess the ears: Take a look at the ears and assess the shape and how well they pop up. Ensure they are free of any debris or dirt.
- Clean the ears: Gently clean the ears with a soft damp towel and make sure to dry thoroughly.
- Gather supplies: Collect the supplies for ear taping including: athletic tape, gauze pads, medical scissors, ear cleaner and cotton balls.
Taping the Ears
Now that the ears are prepared and the supplies are gathered, you’re ready to tape the ears. Here is the process broken down step by step:
- Prepare the gauze: Cut a piece of gauze into 4 equal-sized pieces. Cut the edges of the gauze so that it will lay better against the ears when taping.
- Place the gauze: Place two pieces of the gauze inside each ear with the rounded side facing the ear canal.
- Apply the tape: Cut two pieces of athletic tape and apply them to the ears following this pattern: Start at the base of the ear and wrap the tape around the top of the ear and back to the base.
- Press the tape: Use your finger to press the tape firmly in place to ensure it will stay.
- Remove excess tape: Carefully cut away any excess tape with medical scissors.
Taping a French Bulldog’s ears correctly provides support and encourages the ears to stand erect in a natural shape. Establishing a correct taping technique takes practice but, with the right supplies and following these steps, you’ll be able to successfully tape the ears. Once you have the process nailed down, you will be able to tape your French Bulldog’s ears more quickly and confidently.
Related Info And Products:
- None Found