French bulldogs are an iconic dog breed that are known for their adorable smushed faces and ‘bat-like’ ears. One of the most noticeable characteristics of the French bulldog is its ears—so when do French bulldogs ears stand up? The answer to this question depends on the individual pup, but generally, French bulldog ears will stand up between 4–6 months of age.
The Different Varieties of French Bulldog Ears
There are a few different varieties of French bulldog ears that are specific to the breed. The standard French bulldog ear type is known for being the ‘bat-like’ shape that is common among most French bulldogs. This type of ear shape is caused by a ‘rose-ear’ gene that is found in some Frenchies. The rose-ear gene causes the tips of the ears to bend over and curl inward, giving the ears a unique upward curl.
Other French bulldogs may have softer or wider ears, or straighter ears referred to as the ‘rosebud’ ear. These ear varieties will stand up and ‘open’ differently than their rose-ear counterparts. In some cases, French bulldog puppies may be born without their ears ever standing up. This is often due to a gene mutation and cannot be prevented.
When Do French Bulldogs Ears Stand Up?
Typically, French bulldogs’ ears will stand up between 4–6 months of age. Some Frenchies may have their ears standing up earlier, while others may take a bit longer in certain cases. Generally, their ears will be almost completely standing up by the time they are 6 months old.
If your French bulldog has ears that seem to be taking longer than 6 months to stand up, then it is a good idea to consult with your veterinarian to make sure there isn’t any underlying health issue that may be causing it. They can rule out any potential health issues or genetic mutations and provide guidance on next steps.
Tips for Helping French Bulldog Ears Stand Up
While there’s no guaranteed way to make French bulldog ears stand up, there are some things that owners can do to help their pup’s ears stand up faster. Here are a few tips that may be worth attempting:
- Give them daily ear massages: This can help stimulate the ear muscles and encourage them to stand up faster.
- Wrap their ears up at night: Wrapping ears in a cloth or headband at night can give them the support they need to stand up more easily.
- Avoid submerging ears in water: Water can soften the cartilage in their ears, making it more difficult for them to stand up.
- Don’t trim them: Trimming their ears can cause scarring which can make them stand up limp and wonky.
French bulldogs are known for their iconic ears, and when do French bulldogs ears stand up? Generally, French bulldog ears will stand up between 4–6 months of age, although this can vary depending on individual pups. Owners can try a few tips to help the ears stand up faster, but it is best to consult a veterinarian if they do not seem to be standing up by 6 months of age. Ultimately, French bulldogs are beautiful no matter the shape or size of their ears and are sure to bring lots of joy and love to your home.
Related Info And Products:
- Do All French Bulldogs Ears Stand Up?
- When Do French Bulldog Ears Stand Up?
- When Does French Bulldogs Ears Stand Up?
- When Do French Bulldogs Ears Go Up?
- When Does French Bulldogs Ears Go Up?
- French Bulldog Ears Up
- Do French Bulldogs Throw Up A Lot?
- Why Do French Bulldogs Throw Up?
- How To Clean A French Bulldogs Ears?
- How To Tape French Bulldog Ears?
- French Bulldog Ear Stand
- Why Are My French Bulldog Puppies Ears Floppy?
- What Do French Bulldogs Look Like?
- French Bulldog Food Bowl Stand
- French Bulldog Food Stand