It might be concerning when you notice your French Bulldog looking a bit too thin. A healthy French Bulldog should have a waist easily identified behind the ribs and the ribs should be visible without having to press into the skin. If there is a dramatic weight loss, or if your French Bulldog looks very thin, there may be a serious underlying issue.
Underlying Health Issues
French Bulldogs can have a variety of underlying health issues that cause them to be skinny. These include:
- Parasites. Intestinal parasites are the most common reason for a puppy or adult French Bulldog losing weight. If a pet is infested with a large number of parasites, they can cause dramatic weight loss.
- Malabsorption Syndrome. Malabsorption is a condition in which the pet’s digestive system is not able to absorb nutrients from the food. This can cause them to be hungry all the time, but still losing weight.
- Organ Disease. Diseases of the liver, gall bladder and pancreas can be a cause of a French Bulldog’s extreme slimness and weight loss.
- Hormonal Imbalances. Hormonal imbalances such as diabetes, Cushing’s disease, and Addison’s disease can cause a pet to be very thin.
- Cancer. Cancers of any type can cause weight loss. lung, liver, and GI tract cancers are most likely causes of weight loss in French Bulldogs.
Treating Skinny French Bulldogs
If your French Bulldog is too thin, you should take them to the vet. The vet will want to do a complete physical exam, including checking for any parasites, and blood work to check for organ disease, hormonal diseases and cancer. Depending on their diagnosis, the vet may be able to treat the underlying condition and your pet should start to gain weight. In the meantime, your vet may suggest adding a high-calorie supplement to your pet’s food to help them gain weight.
It is very important to monitor your French Bulldog for sudden or extreme weight loss. If your pet begins to look very thin, schedule an appointment with your vet to determine the underlying cause. Once the cause is identified, treatment can begin to get your furry friend back to a healthy weight.
Related Info And Products:
- Why Is My French Bulldog So Skinny?
- Is My French Bulldog Too Skinny?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Losing Hair?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Losing Weight?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Vomiting?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Not Eating?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Losing So Much Hair?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Refusing To Eat?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Throwing Up White Foam?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Puppy Throwing Up?
- Why Is My French Bulldog So Aggressive?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Drooling All Of A Sudden?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Licking His Paws?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Throwing Up Foam?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Throwing Up?