Coughing is a normal part of a dog’s life. However, if your French Bulldog is coughing more than usual, it could be a sign of an underlying health issue. Coughs can be caused by a variety of things, ranging from allergies to infection to health conditions. It’s important to determine the cause of your pup’s coughing so you can address it right away and keep them feeling their best.
What are the Most Common Causes of Coughing in French Bulldogs?
French Bulldogs can be prone to allergic reactions. Some common allergens include food, pollen, dust mites, and flea bites. If your Frenchie’s cough seems to come on after being out and about or after eating, it could be an allergy-caused reaction.
Respiratory infections are common in any breed of dog, and your French Bulldog may be no exception. Symptoms of an infection may include a dry hacking cough and a fever. Contact your veterinarian if you think your pup has a respiratory infection.
Just like humans, French Bulldogs can catch colds. Signs that your pup may have a cold include sneezing, nasal discharge, and a productive cough. If your French Bulldog is acting lethargic or has lost their appetite, that is also a sign that they may have a cold.
Kennel cough, which is also known as Bordatella bronchiseptica, is an infectious respiratory illness contracted from contact with other dogs. Your French Bulldog could be exposed to it if they’ve been to a kennel, daycare, or dog park. Symptoms can range from a dry cough to fever, lack of appetite, and nasal discharge.
Heart disease is often characterized by a persistent dry cough in dogs. An echocardiogram and/or electrocardiogram can help determine if your pup is suffering from heart disease.
Other Health Conditions
Other conditions such as Luxating Patella, Hypothyroidism, or Tracheal Collapse can cause your Frenchie to cough. Contact your veterinarian and discuss the symptoms that they are exhibiting in order to properly diagnose and treat them.
In conclusion, if your French Bulldog is coughing more than usual, it is important to take them to the vet for an examination and proper diagnosis. While there are a variety of causes for your pup’s coughing, ranging from allergies to infection to underlying health conditions, the sooner that you address the issue, the better for their health.
Related Info And Products:
- Why Is My French Bulldog Vomiting?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Breathing So Fast?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Breathing So Fast While Sleeping?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Throwing Up White Foam?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Drooling?
- Why Does My French Bulldog Sound Like He Can’t Breathe?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Breathing Heavy?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Puppy Breathing So Fast?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Puppy Breathing Fast While Sleeping?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Throwing Up?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Puppy Throwing Up?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Scratching His Ears?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Throwing Up Yellow Foam?
- Why Does My French Bulldog Keep Gagging?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Itching So Much?