If you’ve noticed that your French Bulldog keeps licking you, it’s likely because it’s displaying affection to you and trying to get your attention. Licking is common in canines as a sign of communication and a form of expression, which evolved from the pup’s days as an infant. French Bulldog puppies will lick their mothers to get food, as well as to convey various emotions including love and anxiety. As adults, their habit of licking humans has grown but it can also be a sign of an underlying problem.
Reasons Why A French Bulldog May Lick You
1. To Express Affection
The most common reason why a French Bulldog may lick you is to express affection. Just like humans use hugs and kisses, canines use licking as a sign of love and care towards their owners.
2. As a Form of Appeasement and Submission
Sometimes your French Bulldog may lick you to show that it’s accepting your dominance, or that it’s trying to make peace. This can be beneficial to your relationship and this behavior should be praised. However, if your French Bulldog is constantly licking you to seem submissive, then it can be a sign that it’s feeling stressed or anxious and needs your reassurance.
3. To Get Your Attention and Praise
Canines are highly social animals and love to be around their families. As such, licking can be used as a way for your French Bulldog to grab your attention, to get you to focus on them, or to get something from you.
4. To Show that it is in Pain
Your French Bulldog may lick itself or you to show that it is in discomfort or is experiencing pain. If this is the case, try to assess whether there are any physical causes for the behavior such as a wound or an unfamiliar texture. If you can’t find a physical source, then it’s best to bring your furry friend to the vet just in case.
5. Out of Boredom
Your French Bulldog may also lick you out of boredom. Make sure your dog is getting enough daily exercise, socialization, and mental stimulation. This can help reduce the boredom and, in turn, the licking.
Licking is an important sign of communication for French Bulldogs and can be used to express a range of different feelings, from love and affection to anxiety and submission. It’s important to assess why your furry friend is licking you and praise it when it’s trying to show affection. If the licking is frequent and excessive, however, it can be a sign of an underlying issue and your French Bulldog may need to see the vet.
Related Info And Products:
- Why Does My French Bulldog Lick Me So Much?
- Why Does My French Bulldog Lick Me All The Time?
- Why Is My French Bulldog Licking His Paws?
- Why Does My French Bulldog Keep Licking Her Paws?
- Why Does My French Bulldog Keep Licking His Paws?
- Why Does My French Bulldog Stare At Me?
- Why Does My French Bulldog Follow Me Everywhere?
- How To Stop My French Bulldog From Licking Paws?
- Why Does My French Bulldog Lick Everything?
- Why Does My French Bulldog Lick His Paws?
- Does My French Bulldog Love Me?
- Why Do French Bulldogs Lick So Much?
- How To Stop French Bulldog Licking Paws?
- Why Do French Bulldogs Lick Their Paws?
- Why Does My French Bulldog Chew His Paws?