Owners of French Bulldogs often find themselves asking, “How old is my French Bulldog?” This is a valid question since determining a pup’s age can help owners not only understand the pup’s development, but also provide the right food, exercise, and care. Further, a French Bulldog’s age can help owners determine when the pup should be spayed or neutered for optimal health. So, how old is your French Bulldog?
Estimating Your French Bulldog’s Age
The easiest way to guess a pup’s age is by examining the teeth and coat. Puppy teeth usually start to appear around four weeks of age, but it is better to wait until eight weeks to begin estimating age. At eight weeks old, puppies will have their first set of milk teeth, consisting of 28 deciduous teeth.
At 8 weeks of age and beyond, puppies will begin to cut their adult molars. By 12 weeks, a full set of adult molars should be in. As a note, a French Bulldog puppy’s teeth should appear white and clean, without any yellowing or staining. If the teeth are yellow, this could indicate the puppy is older than twelve weeks.
In addition to examining teeth, the pup’s coat can also help determine age. Many breeds of puppies will retain their soft puppy coat until 12-16 weeks of age. If the pup’s coat is longer, rougher, or thicker, this could mean the pup is older than 16 weeks.
Growth development can help owners get an idea of their pup’s age. French Bulldogs grow quickly, with most pups reaching full growth size by 18-24 months. During this period of development, owners should keep an eye out for the following signs of growth:
- Ears become erect
- The pup begins teething
- The pup should reach most of their adult size
- The pup’s coat will become fuller and more textured
- The backline will begin to become straighter
- The adult teeth should be in
- The pup’s coat will become darker and darker
- The pup should reach full weight
- The pup should reach full size
Taking a look at a pup’s growth development and determining what stage of development a pup is in can help owners figure out an approximate age.
Figuring out the age of a French Bulldog can seem difficult, but using a combination of examining teeth, coat, and growth development can help owners determine an approximate age. Additionally, if owners are unable to accurately figure out the age of their pup, they can always take their pup to a vet who can take a look and offer an opinion. Knowing a pup’s age is important in order to provide the right care and nutrition, and ensure a pup is living their best and healthiest life.
Related Info And Products:
- When Is A French Bulldog Full Grown?
- How Do I Know If My French Bulldog Is Pregnant?
- How Big Will My French Bulldog Get?
- How Can I Tell If My French Bulldog Is Pregnant?
- How To Tell If My French Bulldog Is Pregnant?
- How Big Will My French Bulldog Puppy Get?
- Frankie is complaining about his new bowl – 4 months old french bulldog puppy HD
- When Will My French Bulldog Be Full Grown?
- How Much Food Should I Feed My French Bulldog Puppy?
- Why Is My French Bulldog So Tall?
- Part 1 | How does the French Bulldog puppy growing | day 1 to 6 mos old.
- How Much Should My French Bulldog Puppy Weigh?
- How Can I Tell If My French Bulldog Is Purebred?
- How Long Should I Feed My French Bulldog Puppy Food?
- How Long Should I Walk My French Bulldog Puppy?