Female French Bulldogs typically go into heat twice a year, lasting around 3 weeks. During this time, the dog will experience physical and behavioral changes, as well as an increased appetite for mating. It can be a trying time for pet owners, as the changes can be dramatic. As it is an important part of a female French Bulldog’s reproductive cycle, it is important to have an understanding of what is normal and what to expect.
What Is Heat?
Heat is the period when female pet dogs become sexually receptive and are able to mate. During this time, the uterus and ovaries enlarge, the hormone estrogen rises and the dog’s behavior changes. Most female French Bulldogs go into heat twice a year, each cycle lasting around 3 weeks.
Physical Signs of Heat
The most noticeable physical change in a female French Bulldog in heat is swelling of the vulva. This should be present during the entire heat cycle but may become more pronounced as the cycle progresses. This swelling is due to an increase in blood flow to the area and an accumulation of fluid. In addition, the dog may have vaginal discharge which can range from light reddish-pink in color to heavy red.
Behavioral Signs of Heat
Female French Bulldogs in heat may display the following:
- Humping toys and other objects
- Excessive licking around the vulva
- Increased vocalizations
- Aggression towards other female dogs
- Restlessness or anxiousness
These behaviors, especially humping and aggression, are all signs of sexual frustration. As such, it is important to monitor and redirect the dog’s behavior during this period.
Heat and Diet
During heat, it is not uncommon for a female French Bulldog to experience an increase in appetite. This is due to the increase in hormone levels as well as an increase in physical activity as the dog may become more restless. It is important to ensure that the dog is getting a balanced and nutritious diet during this period in order to maintain energy levels and proper weight.
Overall, female French Bulldogs in heat can be quite the handful, with seemingly unpredictable changes in behavior and an increased appetite. However, with understanding and the proper knowledge, these changes can be managed. A general knowledge of what is normal and what to expect can help pet owners to better prepare for the heat cycle and managing the dog’s behavior and diet.
Related Info And Products:
- How Long Do French Bulldogs Stay In Heat?
- How Long Will My French Bulldog Be In Heat?
- How Much Do French Bulldogs Bleed While In Heat?
- How Often Do French Bulldogs Go Into Heat?
- When Do French Bulldogs Go Into Heat?
- How Long Are French Bulldogs Pregnant For?
- How Long Do French Bulldogs Live In Human Years?
- How Long Are French Bulldogs?
- How Much Are Long Haired French Bulldogs?
- How Long Are French Bulldogs Pregnant?
- Are French Bulldogs In Pain?
- When Will My French Bulldog Go Into Heat?
- How Long Can French Bulldogs Hold Their Bladder?
- Are French Bulldogs Born With Long Tails?
- Are Long Haired French Bulldogs Purebred?