Are French Bulldogs hypoallergenic dogs? This is a question that many potential dog owners have when considering bringing another furry family member into the home. French Bulldogs are adorable, friendly, and relatively easy to care for – characteristics which make them ideal pets – but it is important to understand how they may affect people who suffer from allergies.
The short answer is that French Bulldogs are not typically considered hypoallergenic. All dogs shed at least a small amount of dander, which is the main cause of allergies in sensitive people. However, there are certain breeds that produce less dander than others, making them more suitable for those with allergies. Unfortunately, French Bulldogs are among the breeds that produce a moderate to significant amount of dander.
A Closer Look at French Bulldogs and Dander
Dander is a combination of saliva, dead skin, and other organic matter that is constantly produced, even with weekly brushing and grooming. French Bulldogs naturally have long, dense fur which can hold the dander close to their skin, making it more likely to be dispersed into the air and irritate allergies. Even regular shed cycles will not prevent French Bulldogs from contributing to indoor allergies.
What Can I do?
If you are determined to welcome a French Bulldog into your home, even if you or a family member has allergies, there are a few steps you can take to minimize the potential irritation.
- Keep a regular full-body grooming process which involves the use of a vacuum, usually once a week
- Use an air filter and set to high, as this will reduce the amount of particles in the air
- Place the dog on a towel to collect any dander rather than have him lie on the furniture
- Wash all bedding, toys, and anything that the dog comes in contact with regularly
- Use allergen-reducing shampoo when bathing or grooming the French Bulldog
By taking precautionary steps and committing to a thorough maintenance schedule, the dander that is naturally produced by a French Bulldog can be minimized and allergies can be minimized as well.
Although French Bulldogs are not naturally hypoallergenic dogs, potential owners who suffer from allergies need not give up the hope of owning one. Proper grooming and maintenance can reduce the amount of dander produced, making it easier to manage allergic reactions. With commitment and discipline, anyone can enjoy the company of a French Bulldog!
Related Info And Products:
- Are French Bulldogs Hypoallergenic?
- Are french bulldogs hypoallergenic?
- Are French Bulldog Hypoallergenic?
- Is French Bulldog Hypoallergenic?
- Are French Bulldogs Good Dogs?
- Is A French Bulldog Hypoallergenic?
- Are French Bulldogs Good With Other Dogs?
- Are French Bulldogs Good Emotional Support Dogs?
- Are French Bulldogs Good Family Dogs?
- Are French Bulldogs Good Service Dogs?
- Are French Bulldogs Good Apartment Dogs?
- What Are French Bulldogs Allergic To?
- Why Are French Bulldogs Are So Expensive?
- What Are The Pros And Cons Of French Bulldogs?
- What Foods Are French Bulldogs Allergic To?